Now we are close. Just a three hour bus ride and one more border to cross and we are in Tanzania.

Joberg airport was amazing, we certainly didn't feel like we were in an African airport! Our driver told us proudly it was the biggest airport in Africa. On our return leg we have a 6 hour transit in Joberg, we don't anticipate it will be uncomfortable.

We arrived in Kigali about 615pm and paid for our single entry visa to the officials that did not smile or speak then we held our breath as we waited for our luggage to arrive. One suitcase handle is broken but all contents still inside and padlocks still firmly in place. We haven't opened the bags to see if all the contents is still in tact, both bags are full of stuff that we will be leaving in Murgwanza. We then had the dubious task of finding a taxi to our accommodation but this to turned out to be not so hard. After much deliberation the driver assured us he knew where we were going...but he didn't. Eventually we arrived at Solace Ministries Guest House and were warmly welcomed.

After a meal of chicken, fish, rice and vegetables we went to bed and slept till the rooster crowed at 4am! Rob has suggested everyone at the guest house order chicken tonight so they need to kill the offending rooster!

This morning we have walked into town and set ourselves up at the local Bourbon Coffee shop complete with free wifi. We were pretty proud of ourselves to have managed to find our way on foot and dodge the eager taxi and piki piki (motorbike) drivers who were after our business. We did ask for some directions on the way from a lovely couple who were trying to direct us to a bus. But we insisted we were happy to walk. After the lady apologised for her poor english (which was actually very good) I made the silly mistake of telling her I knew a little swahili. Her husband and her were originally from the DRC and they spoke Swahili. The husband then gave us Swahili...Sas was surprised she actually got most of what he said. It did help that Sas knew where we were going and he was pointing at the same time. We ended up walking about 15kms. That includes a walk down to the museum of natural history. What we saw first were small toy plastic dinosaurs in an enclosed glass table...I knew we were in for a treat. We were actually trying to find a geocache (one of two in the vicinity). It was meant to be easy but we couldn't find it while muggles were staring at us. (If you don't know what a geocache is, go here.)




Kigali is a busy city but so clean, not a scrap of rubbish anywhere. Well...sort of....compared to Tanzania. Security has certainly increased since we were here in June 2011. There are metal detectors and security guards at the entrance to the shopping centre and security with under car mirrors checking cars as they enter the car park. There are still many army trucks and men with large guns everywhere. Despite this, we feel safer here then we did in Johannesburg.

We were greeted by a little girl on our walk in to day. She said the usual 'Good morning" to which Sas replied "How are you?", she was stumped but her big sister quickly put in "I am fine". It feels good to be back.

Tomorrow we negotiate the bus trip to Rusumo where our friend Vithalis hopes to meet us with a car. Otherwise we will get a taxi to Murgwanza.

We spoke to the boys in Noosa this morning on FaceTime - they are happy and having a great time. We are so grateful to my mum who is taking care of them. We hope they are behaving!!!

We are not sure how much internet we will have in Murgwanza so next blog may not be posted till Mwanza in about 10 days. If there is even a sniff of internet Rob will work it out and get us on. After all, as Sas read in the inflight magazine on the South African Airlines flight, the UN state that 'access to internet is a basic human right.'

Next news from Tanzania!!!!!

Go to top

Swahili - English

Enter Swahili or English words for translation