HomeMissionTanzania 2011PostsNoises in Murgwanza

Noises in Murgwanza

Rob is away for a few days in Mulaba doing some work with Tumaini. So I am home alone with the boys. I thought this was good opportunity for some early nights. So yesterday we were all pretty whacked and thankfully were blessed with no afternoon visitors so we ate at 6pm bathed and ready for bed, planning for an 830pm lights out for all.

As is custom with Rob away the boys fought over who would sleep with me. It was Jakes turn last night, Oli tonight then Mitchell on Thursday. Lucky Rob is away three nights. So all boys in bed I hopped in to bed with my computer planning to write a couple of emails then lights out.(It is better to be in bed under then net then in the living room with the mosies.) Well I got a little distracted writing a long email to my mum, then thought I’d just start preparing a stroke talk for the nursing school and before I knew it, it was 930pm. Oh well lights out then, still early in many people books!!

At some stage in the night I woke as there was a bug in my room that sounded like a cross between a bumble bee and the noise you get when you get mobile phone feedback through your speakers. It kept me awake for hours. I am used to the chitter chatter of the gecko’s and the occasional owl but this was REALLY annoying. I must have finally dropped off because next thing to wake me was the call to prayer from the Mosque in Ngara town. Some days when the wind is right we can hear it, I think that is 530am (but still very dark). Next thing I wake again Jake is screaming next to me – nightmare. I re-settle him then our male chicken decides to try out his cock a doodle doo – AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH. Finally he stops then at 645am the NAPS bus blasts its horn to remind any stragglers to hurry up if they want to ride to school or they will have to walk the 5 km. Next the Murgwanza  Primary School bell rings. This consists of an old car wheel hanging on a chain being bashed by a lucky student with a big stick. By now all my boys are up and decide to use my bed for a little rock and roll wrestling. I must admit Jake did bring me a bowl of pineapple and Mitchell a cup of tea.

By now it is 8am and George is at the door, closely followed by the milk man and Godriva so I guess it is time to start the day!!

So after early school (due to the promise of a walk to town and a piki piki ride back) we set off to town for nyama (meat), which is always an experience! Suffice to say Oliver stood at the counter with his hand over his nose….you can imagine the smell and I won’t embellish on the sight. We got cornflakes (treat) and we found some apples (super treat). We also got waved down by the post man who informed me we had parcels. So laden with our goodies we had to fight off the piki drivers to just get two pikis home. On return we discovered we have been paying mzungu price for the piki!!! Godriva says it should only be 1000Tsh each piki and we have been paying 2000Tsh – no wonder they were all fighting for the ride.

So now Oli is out riding a stick, pretending it’s a piki piki and poor George is having to go for many rides. Mitch is on the computer and Jake is most concerned because our kuku keeps sitting on the eggs.

On Sunday Bishops Rooster was visiting making ‘fancy eyes’ at our kuku and since then one of our kukus keeps sitting in the nest. George and Godriva were convinced we could expect baby kuku’s in 21 days and should not take the eggs. BUT since then she has roamed and they have laid more so further advice tells me maybe she is just tired!!! This farming business is too hard on top of everything else!!

This afternoon I am teaching a class at the nursing school and I think we will make jelly for dessert from one of our parcels from home. Godriva is cooking up our ‘steki’ (meat) – glad I just buy it!!!

We have two more days of home schooling then we are going to have a two week break to coincide with mum’s arrival. Yesterday I sent the boys on a scavenger hunt around Murgwanza. They set off with a list, a bag, a camera and 100Tsh each. They had to find, photograph and buy a number of things on the list. Since then I have come up with about another 30 challenges for another day. Learning through exploration, that’s alright!! Oli and I also went for a nature walk to find living and non-living things. This promoted some interesting discussion. Like a leaf is living, but once you pick it, is it still living??? And what about something like fire – is that living, it needs fuel, it needs oxygen, it can move independently??? Primary school is too hard I’ll stick to the tertiary education!! Today’s question is how does sugar cane that grows in the field then get to be sugar in a bowl you use on your cereal? I will have to put that question to Prof Google when Rob gets back as we have very limited internet while he is away with the unlimited SIM. Happy for any suggestions, I know fire is involved at some stage!!!

We go to Rwanda next Thursday for 4 days and on the Saturday/Sunday mum and I are going on a gorilla trek while the boys stay in Kigali and shop till they drop, eat ice cream, swim in the pool and enjoy superfast internet!!

That’s all for now; best go and prepare for class. Today’s lesson is on Spinal Injuries, this is the follow up the Head Injuries from last week. Sorry for grammatical errors my editor (Rob) is away.


Time Difference

The real measure of our wealth is how much we'd be worth if we lost all our money~

J.H. Howett
Go to top

Swahili - English

Enter Swahili or English words for translation

Posts by Date

Powered by mod LCA

BLOG Photos

blogphotosBigTanzania 2011 Mission field work BLOG photos.

View Photos...

Mission Clips

Mission ClipsA few short Video Clips taken on the mission field.

View Clips...

Tanzania 2009

cameraBigPhoto Gallery - Tanzania 2009 mission work...

View Gallery...

CMS Australia

cmsLogoCMS-Australia is a missionary sending organisation...